Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ahhh... Sunday

One of my favorite things about the weekend is our walks. On any given weekend day or holiday, we take at least two walks. We meander on the malecon or through Miraflores or even to the grocery store. Usually, Maximo doesn't make it too long in the stroller, so most of the time, I "sling" him. Today started off really wet and "rainy", so we couldn't go out for our early morning walk. After naptime, we ventured out with Max in a pack on Daddy's back. While I was pregnant with Maximo we received a hiking pack as a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down. He's been too small to use it, but we wanted to try it today. It went well, so hopefully we'll take Maximo up to Machu Picchu in it this next year!
And just because you're dying to know... I drank two cups of coffee today. And that could only mean one thing (well, besides being tired - more sleep begets more sleep). I stopped breastfeeding Maximo. I was always considerate of my caffeine intake while pregnant and breastfeeding. Now I'm going on a binge, no... just kidding. It was time for us to end this wonderful and amazing experience. We really feel like we were so lucky to be able to breastfeed Maximo. Most preemies do not get to breastfeed or even get breastmilk, for a plethora of reasons. Most commonly, because they aren't strong enough to suck or they need more calories than breastmilk provides to help them gain weight rapidly.
Over the past month, Maximo was getting less and less interested in it. I'd be surprised if my daily output at the end was more than a few ounces. I am a little sad about it, but the timing was right. It was nice not to have to force it and just let it happen on its own. Now, the next attachment thing that will REALLY bum me out is when he's too big to go into the sling!

No comments: