Sunday, August 24, 2008

Anticipating the "Sit Down"

When I was about 21, I was scolded for being the "bad parent" for the first time by a doctor. I was at the vet with my cat who was a bit overweight (understatement) and the vet lectured me about how unhealthy my cat was and how I was the cause of the problem. I was embarrassed and hurt. And now I feel like we may be walking into another disappointed doctor's office.
We're a bit anxious about our doctors' visits this week, especially the one on Thursday for Max's 1 year check up. Max's size has always been a concern, since he was born so small. He was catching up, now, well, we're not sure. About 2 weeks ago, his appetite totally disappeared. He used to eat so well, and now he's eating like a bird. Taking a couple of bites of even his favorite dishes, then snapping his trap closed and shaking his head back and forth.So now, dinner begins with a few options, most of which he can eat my himself - tonight he had broccoli and chicken. I also made veggie pancakes for him - using Bisquick with shredded cooked carrot, zucchini and broccoli (the Almighty Web said it was a good food for picky eaters). I even went as far as spreading butter on top - to make it more tasty and for a few more calories and fat. He enjoys feeding himself, so I put it on his tray and let him go at it. At first, we waited with baited breath - bite, chew, chew, chew, another, chew, chew, chew, another, chew, chew, chew... then it was chucked on the floor. So then we get a little desperate, so I start scrounging around the kitchen - string cheese, graham crackers and of course, Cheerios - all of which gets mixed together on his tray.I even started hiding food sandwiched between two Cheerios - I would squish some pancake in between - r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s!
He's happy and seems healthy, so we're not too stressed. I stopped reading baby development books (i.e. What to Expect in the First Year) a long time ago. He definitely doesn't look starved. I've read that kids go through a finicky eating stage, but it's closer to 18 months and he's never been ahead of schedule on anything. So, we'll just go with it, and expect to be scolded at the doctor's office.
Really, the only negative effect of Maximo eating less during the day, is that he's waking up at 5 am, rather than 6, because he's hungry. But, he's still making it through the night...
Can a baby survive on Cheerios alone? We may soon find out!

No comments: